Thinking about STEP – excellent transition from School to University Mathematics.
Spent an hour in a cafe working with Desmond, a student who is doing STEP this year and is about to go to Oxford to fill his brain with prime numbers.
Here are some links:
- Searchable database (by topic and by year), contains all STEP questions
- Free support programme for independent study by students
- Underground maths (includes worked answers here)
- A book to buy
We struggled with this question, mostly conceptually, for a pleasant head-scratching hour.
When R is (2,1), the situation is shown below.
- The blue line is the scenario that gives the smallest sum of distances OP and OQ
- The red line is the scenario that gives the smallest distance PQ
We both strongly wanted the blue and red line to be the same line! It turns out they are not… Strange.