As a precursor to:
Equality is a weird thing…
- Should everyone in this class get an equal grade?
- Should everyone in this class be graded equally?
- Should the teacher treat everyone in this class equally?
- Should you treat everyone in this class equally?
- Should everyone in this class do an equal amount of work in class? At home?
Notation is not given to us by God or the universe. We, at some stage, invented it. Robert Recorde, from Tenby (Wales), invented the equals sign after getting sick of having to write out “is equal to” every time… Took 200 years to be fully accepted – slow-moving meme.
What other equals signs should exist? Think of a gap in the market that needs filling…
- Is a cat equal to a dog?
- Are two cats equal?
- Are two triangles with same side lengths equal?
- Are two triangles with the same angles equal?
- Is Mr Judge equal to your Math teacher?
- Is your age the same as your neighbors?
- Is 4 + 1 equal to 3 + 2?
- Are women equal to men?
- Are two meter-sticks equal?
- Is a + a equal to 2a?
- Is 3x equal to 9?
We have to use the Rafael and the Olivia signs as much as possible. Maybe in 200 years’ time they will be standard…